Friday, September 02, 2005

Yoga to Benefit Hurricane Katrina Rescue and Relief Efforts

This is to the New Yorkers out there...my friend and fellow yoga teacher, Michele Sonier, is leading several yoga classes where the fee is "Pay What You Want" and ALL monies collected go to benefit Hurrican Katrina Rescue and Relief Efforts (I believe she is donating all to the American Red Cross).

If you are interested, here are the details, as sent to me by Michele:


"Thursday, September 8, 2005 from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. The class will once again be held at West 72nd Street Studios, 131 W. 72nd St. between Amsterdam & Columbus Avenues. In lieu of payment for class, I will ask that those in attendance contribute to hurricane relief. As a suggested guideline, the “going rate” for a yoga class in the city is anywhere form $16-$22, but please contribute whatever you wish when you arrive for class. Many relief organizations have chosen NOT to send people to New Orleans out of fear for their safety, as the looting and rioting in New Orleans is out of control. I will continue to research what organizations already set up there will most benefit from our contribution, and I will communicate that at a later date. But as of now, proceeds from the class will be going to the American Red Cross."



In addition, Michele and I are thinking about leading a "108 Sun Salutations" Fund Raiser to benefit Hurricane Relief at a date and time to be decided upon. If you are interested in that, could you let me know either here or via email so that we can get some sense of the interest level?

YC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey lauren Im interested in the 108 Suryas.

Jody ---urbanashtangi@gmail.

Yoga Chickie said...

Hi Jody...it looks like it is going to be at Yoga Sutra, tentative date September 18 (Saturday), which is a moonday.

Lauren

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!