Friday, September 23, 2005

achhhh

My throat HURTS!! And my stomach is all wonky. And I ate a scone for breakfast, and I never even eat breakfast anymore. But whatcha gonna do when your stomach feels all blechy?

No practice for me today. I was going to have to miss my mysore practice at Shala X anyway because I had a thing in Brian's classroom, but I was going to try to go to Erika Hildebrandt's half led primary at Yoga Sutra at noontime. Unfortunately...well, whine whine whine.

Does anyone practice when they feel like crap? Am I supposed to? Still not clear on that....

Brian's classroom thing was a "Book Group". The book was Lemonade Sun, a collection of poetry, which every Third Grade kid at the school was required to read over the summer. Once the school-year began, the kids in Brian's classroom were given a set of questions to think about, like "What did the book make you think about?" and "How did the book of poems differ from other types of books you have read?" They wrote their answers down as a way of preparing for the Book Group.

Today, being the big day, the parents were invited into the classroom, where we sat in small groups with our kids and discussed the answers to the set of questions. At first, we talked about the type of language the poetry used (lots of aliteration, lots of onamotapoeia). Then somehow, the discussion veered into more philosophical territory....about the nature of poetry, comparing and contrasting it first to prose in general and then to any sort of work of fiction or non-fiction. After some lively debate (the Husband, a man who has not read a word of literature since Freshman Year of college, told the group that "poetry is all fiction, as it is never factual; another mom demanded, "But what about "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere?"), we came to the conclusion that poetry is really about the "form", rather than the "content".

Since I wrote poetry in college (I even won an award from the Academy of American Poets), I found this very intellectually stimulating. Thus, I was surprised when the groups, one by one, gave a summary of what they had discussed amongst themselves, and discovered that every other group talked about "lemonade" or "sun" or "summer" and stuff like that. My friend and fellow mom, Ann, and I giggled when we realized that we had actually subjected our little Third Grade Book Group to a college-level discussion of post-modern literary theory...

YC

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uhh Im not suprised you won an award for writing, you an annoyingly good writer!!!! (wink)

Anonymous said...

my rule for practicing when sick-- if it's an illness that is above my stomach area-- meaning a head cold, sore throat etc... i will practice. If its digestive in nature or even further below---female issues-- i will not practice.
but I've always felt better when i have practiced even when sick.

Anonymous said...

I pretty much use the same rule as the previous anonymous--though I ignore all rules about periods and practice. Practiced with a sore throat this morning, and it was especially sweet!

Anonymous said...

but, but, i thought one wasn't supposed to get sick when one was doing yoga (tee-hee) love reading about your boys, they seem like amazing little people. and i firmly believe in talking to kids on your own level, none of that little kid talk. keep it coming,
greetings, ivdp

Anonymous said...

not to not join the fan club but you spelled alliteration and onomatopoeia wrong...

Chris said...

Last Anon-

I'm curious, why did you feel the need to point out spelling errors? Was the intention of her post not clear with those two errors?

Anonymous said...

How's the Puppy?

I practice no matter what. Unless I am so tired and achy I can't move off the couch.
I think it pushes it out of the system faster....

Anonymous said...

YC,

I hope you are feeling better today. What did Brian say, if anytning, at the poetry session?
Or was he private, pensive, and proud (parents present and contributing).

As for spelling, I didn't catch the errors. I think it is great that you have at least one literate reader who did. I do agree with your other readers on the your writing. It runs in the family, of course. You should write a memoir or fictionalized version of your experiences. The only input I would like to have is to say you should be a contrarian to Philip Roth and make your mother be the most wonderful person. But then it would be a bore. I therefore give you permission to portry me as real. (I will get over it with some visits to the shrink.)

xoxo,

BeBe

P.S. Read your e-mail for a message.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy! 2 errors in my post. Embarrassed.

BeBe

Anonymous said...

CHRIS

I pointed it out because I would want to know and I believe Lauren can handle it. Sorry if it bugged you.

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!