So says Sri Swami Sivananda (who would very likely disapprove of this photo and the notion of yoga as a tool for better sex) in his The Practice of Brahmacharya.
I started thinking about the practice of "brahmacharya". For those who don't know, "brahmacharya" is one of the "eight limbs of yoga". Traditionally, it is the practice of celibacy. Sometimes it is considered to be the practice of modified celibacy with sex permitted only at certain prescribed times. Some don't even like to USE the word celibacy with regard to the practice of "brahmacharya", instead construing it broadly to fit the realities of our modern "sexy" world as "conservation of vital energy".
Do people practice Brahmacharya as celibacy? Feel free to comment anonymously on this one.
Wednesday, December 28, 2005
Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.
VISIT ME AT MY NEW ADDRESS, YA'ALL!
- Yoga Chickie
- Northern Westchester, New York, United States
- I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.
- ► 2009 (102)
- ► 2008 (238)
- ► 2007 (366)
- ► 2006 (504)
- "The news was bad, I went to Bendels"....
- How do you begin an Ashtanga practice without an A...
- Move over Geico Cavemen...meet the Kleenex Monk
- Auspicious on the inside
- Peggy Fleming I aint
- "The world is sexy"...
- Little Sparrows and One-Legged Pigeons
- Holy Jelly Doughnuts!
- Random thought:
- An ass CAN be too small.
- Nice Menorah!
- I killed a massage chair
- Blogging gone wrong...?
- Ireland, Sweden, Manila, Oh MY!
- My hip replacement
- Is it possible? Will practicing at Shala X actual...
- Coda to my Carrie Bradshaw Moment...
- My Carrie Bradshaw moment
- Breast Reconstruction after Mastectomy; It wasn't ...
- Why is it that dogs are so damn lovable?
- Heating Pad
- Hanuman Chaleesa
- Winter Solstice
- Better Than Average Joe
- The Family Stone: Haven't Seen It, Don't Wanna
- Mommy...(grinning impishly)....IS it?
- Please let there be no transit strike...please let...
- Gratitude journal
- I don't think it's the backbends...
- My big, strong wrists (not to mention my giant fee...
- Petri Räisänen
- Back to basics
- "All is a miracle" - Thich Nhat Hanh
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Oedipal Resolution
- Photo Diary of a Breast Cancer Survivor
- I knew something was up!
- The best laid plans
- I'll have what she's having
- I have a friend who lost a lot of weight practicin...
- Pigs fly
- Paralysis By Analysis
- Tom and Daisy Fall From Grace
- Why is winter so damn hard?
- A day of nothing
- Lewis has a blog!
- Good And Bad Reasons For Believing
- When you talk to yourself....
- Ode to Eminem, yo, his words offend so, but then a...
- Yoga Road Kill
- 1/2 Led Primary
- ▼ December (57)