Friday, December 16, 2005

Hydrophobia

I do not like water. There I said it. I am always surprised and thrilled when for some strange reason, I find myself craving a tall cold one (water, that is). I am often thirsty. VERY thirsty. And I answer my cravings for hydration, usually in the form of Diet Peach Snapple, hazelnut coffee and the occasional Diet Sierra Mist. It's not pretty. But it's true.

Well, last night, Brian introduced me to Propel Fitness Water, and, let me tell you: it is GOOD. The grape flavored Propel Water vaguely tastes like grape Kool-Aid (a great love from my childhood), and 23.7 ounces goes down in a matter of, literally, seconds. Each 8 oz serving has 10 calories, so it's not terribly significant calorically. Also, it has a whole bunch of vitamins: C, E and a couple of B's. Most importantly, I am 23.7 ounces more hydrated with WATER than I would be had I come home this afternoon and downed a bottle of Diet Peach Snapple.

Missed morning Mysore because the entry ramp to the FDR Drive was closed, scaring me off. Instead, I came home, brainstormed with REW about all the things she is currently brainstorming about, napped (that was her suggestion) and then braved the subway to get to Yoga Sutra to teach a lunchtime class. Aftwards, Sarah Willis convinced me to take her vinyasa class, and it was GREAT. It is HARD to hold those standing poses for so long and then vinyasa between them. Her alignment cues were great, and she has a great sense of humor. It's good for me to take other teachers' vinyasa classes sometimes as a sort of "reality check" - make sure I'm on the same page generally as my colleagues. It seems I am, and that's comforting.

Now I am home with the kids and the dog, and I don't want to go anywhere anytime soon...although a long walk with Lewis and the kids is looming....

Now, the question is...should I go to Shala X for the Saturday Mysore tomorrow? I am going to miss practice on Monday AND on Wednesday due to school parties for my kids....I can always practice at home, but right now, I feel like I need the assistance of a teacher...

Oh, and I need to revise something I wrote earlier...about that show K-9 Karma....I had written about how much I liked it, how I thought it was clever and charming. Well, this afternoon, we watched in embarassed horror as the hosts went to visit an artist named Tillamook Cheddar, who just so happens to be a Jack Russell Terrier. At first I thought that the show would lampoon the notion of a dog that sells canvases for a THOUSAND BUCKS, especially after they showed footage of the dog's "creative process", which consisted of the dog ripping, scratching and LICKING a piece of canvas wrapped in a piece of paper smeared with paint. I mean, it's not like the dog could even SEE what she was doing. But then these two adults (the host of K-9 Karma, and the Jack Russell's owner), were talking, IN EARNEST, about the dog's "process" and commenting on the dog's "intent" in biting sometimes at the perimeter of the package, and sometimes at the center....not a hint of sarcasm anywhere.

Three words: OH PUH LEEEEEEEEEEZE.


YC

7 comments:

Lees Lamar said...

OK, so the Propel doesn't have artificial sweetner in it either.
Another plus! Did I say I was a food freak?

Yoga Chickie said...

YAY! No aspartame!!!

Tiff said...

WATER?! ALSO KNOWN AS THE NECTAR OF LIFE! C'mon Lauren, you can't replace what's irreplaceable. LOL. I loooove water. :-) Glad you found propel.

Lees Lamar said...

Aspartame is scary. I met this woman who lost 20 LBS and all she did was she stopped drinking diet soda.

Yoga Chickie said...

OY!!!

Yoga Chickie said...

Mojo, you should definitely go to a yoga class. But don't expect to look like Madonna overnight. First of all, the only kind of yoga that ever really had that "chiseling" effect on me has been Ashtanga. If you do decide to explore Ashtanga, give it at least a six week trial. It may really be ego-bruising and humbling at first, but you WILL begin to see and feel results in that time. You won't be Madonna in that time, but you will be well on your way. Bikram is another form of yoga where you will see some results pretty quickly - but mainly in the form of weight loss, not too much in the form of muscular toning.

I hope that as you do move into a yoga practice that you begin to see more than physical results! Hopefully, you will learn a lot about yourself, and pick up some interesting philosophy, history and music tidbits as well...

YC

Yoga Chickie said...

Mojo, you should definitely go to a yoga class. But don't expect to look like Madonna overnight. First of all, the only kind of yoga that ever really had that "chiseling" effect on me has been Ashtanga. If you do decide to explore Ashtanga, give it at least a six week trial. It may really be ego-bruising and humbling at first, but you WILL begin to see and feel results in that time. You won't be Madonna in that time, but you will be well on your way. Bikram is another form of yoga where you will see some results pretty quickly - but mainly in the form of weight loss, not too much in the form of muscular toning.

I hope that as you do move into a yoga practice that you begin to see more than physical results! Hopefully, you will learn a lot about yourself, and pick up some interesting philosophy, history and music tidbits as well...

YC

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!