Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Petri Räisänen

I am so lucky to have Petri Räisänen as a guest teacher. We really get some wonderful guest teachers at Shala X.

Had a really stiff practice today - physically stiff. Mentally, I had trouble with the physical stiffness, which was mainly in my lower back. By the end of practice, I had difficulty getting a decent arch in Upward Facing Dog, although I did manage to rather painlesslessly get into four Full Wheels after my bridge, as I promised myself I would try to do on a regular basis (and adding additional full wheels as time goes on, until Sir gives me dropbacks, IF Sir ever gives me dropbacks).

Petri has such a wonderful energy about him, and I feel as if he reads me very well. He held my hands down in Prasarita Pado C for the full five breaths and then tapped my back - time to come up. I needed that today, as I wasn't going to be able to stay there by myself. He got me into Mari C, which I simply surrendered to, despite that somewhere in a vast corner of my being, my ego was crying out, "I want to do it myself!! Please let me do it myself!!!" And then, surprise, he sat next to me and watched me get into D by myself (well, it was the first side, which is my hard side, so, all I managed was to bind by my fingernails...humbling). He helped me with the second side, although I knew I could do that by myself, and this time, I listened for my ego and heard nothing.

Petri wrote a wonderful book that is on display at Shala X - unfortunately it is all in Finnish. I wish I spoke Finnish. Or, alternatively, that the book were translated into English. It looks incredible - wonderful photos, information on dristes, and it even COUNTS (in Sanskrit) EACH vinyasa of EACH posture.

One more day til moonday. One more baking soda bath til moonday. I actually am looking forward to tomorrow's practice, which probably means I will end up feeling big big resistance to it when it is time to go....although not going is NOT an option. So.....

YC

8 comments:

Tiff said...

Oh am I one for the mental/physical stiff battle! Mentally I'm like "I can do hamunasana and square my hips" physically, I'm like five feet from the floor. Long time coming. The key for me with the marichasana is twisting my spine first before trying to wrap my arm around. My back normally pops a little and I actually twist enough so I can see the person next to me. Try really twisting.

Anonymous said...

I think Petri studies at Eddies. He was at our 10 yr anniversary party.
Oh and Im studying with Gary next week while Im in colorado!!!

Anonymous said...

Baking Soda Bath? Tell me about it never heard of that. More of an epsom salt gal, yet never really feel the salts, although everyone says it is good.

sonya

Yoga Chickie said...

Baking soda, Epsom Salts, Kosher Salt, Table Salt - it's all good. Immersing your body in a salty solution has the effect of pulling toxins from your skin. It also has the effect of pulling WATER from your skin, via osmosis. Baking soda seems to have the added benefit of softening my skin - making it feel smooth, even a bit slippery. I like ALL salt baths, but baking soda is my fave.

Yoga Chickie said...

Oh Jody! You lucky guy! Gary is great!! He is sooooo soooo strong, and smart and funny.

I knew that Petri practiced at Eddies at some point, if not currently - it is in his bio.

Anonymous said...

yeah, petri is there every morning

Yoga Chickie said...

so, we're all lucky...

Anonymous said...

Petri is coming to the shala where I am practising in June - I'm looking forward to it already! :-)

/Anne

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!