Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The elephant in the room

Another bound Supta K. Maybe it won't be newsworthy soon. That would be cool. I see people around me moving on, getting new poses, getting dropbacks, people who can't bind in Mari D without help or who don't have a really solid forward bend but can manage to bind in everything because of longer arms. I start to wonder - what's up with that? I keep wondering. I try to do my practice and stay out of eveyone else's. But I really want to finish Primary and enjoy those easy, back and forth, rolling on your back poses that come after Baddha Konasana. Also, wouldn't it be nice to be given poses that DID NOT present a challenge to me? It's NEVER happened yet. Even Navasana, I had to learn to press up in between. And even in BujaP, I had to learn and am still learning to come down slowly, rather than crashing onto the top of my head.

I'm tempted to chant to Ganesha. What would God say though? I had lunch recently with a very longtime friend of mine who lost her husband in the World Trade Center on 9-11, and she says that she and God are on a time-out, and have been for the past six years. I suppose I have cause to have taken a break from the deity myself, but I haven't yet. Perhaps it would not be bad to stray to the worshipping of a multi-armed elephant God for a brief time based on my good behavior heretofore?

YC

8 comments:

V said...

Don't regress, YC! You wrote stuff like that a long time ago, and from there you went on to worry only about yourself and stop looking at other people. Don't you think this served you better?

Yoga Chickie said...

I know, V!!!!!!! It was much better the other way. I do go through these phases...usually it happens in the lag-time between really being able to do a pose I have been working on or a long time and finally getting the next one. So, it may just be part of my process? Maybe?

Carl said...

Flexibility is not the whole issue anyway. Maybe those other folks don't have strength equal to yours.

I watch some of the other newbies go much further into the series than I can go and a lot of what they're doing is just schlepping themselves into and out of approximations of poses. I also watch some who've been working 4, 6 or more years and they have wonderfully inspiring focus, poise and strength in addition to the flexibility.

V said...

It's very possibly part of the process although I'm sure there are (weirdos!) people who are inmune to it.

Maybe we just look around and judge other people in order to not admit our perceived shortcomings (Teacher thinks we are not ready to move on to the next pose). But maybe the lesson is to stop rationalizing, and if it doesn't make sense, well, then just let it not make sense. KWIM?

Tiff said...

Hey, I hate the second half of 1st. Everything after baddha konasana is lame to me. You aren't missing out on much in my opinion, besides, I'm sure you'll find it easy!

Yoga Chickie said...

It's a rite of passage, that last part of Primary!!!

DebPC said...

I am in the middle of doing some research on Hinduism for an article I am collaborating on and came across this Hindu saying about religion: "Ekam Sataha Vipraha Bahudha Vadanti," meaning: "The truth is One, but different Sages call it by Different Names."
So praying to Ganesha, remover of obstacles and bringer of success, would probably be okay. For a while, anyway.
This site www.koausa.org/Gods/God8.html has some interesting info on Hindu deities.

Yoga Chickie said...

Yeah, but it would only be okay to ganesh. God, maybe not so much?

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!