Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The best laid plans...

So, what was that about me going to practice with Gary in the morning and then going to Prana Mandir for some Kundalini at noon???

I woke up today feeling like I had been beaten about the body with a blunt object. Last night's classes were great, but very demanding on me physically. The 6:30 class was almost full, and there were three big guys who were brand new to yoga and a number of beginners who needed (a) a lot of adjustments and (b) a lot of demonstrating. Between my 6:30 and my 9:05, I had no time to eat anything other than a handful of....Pringles....bad lady. So, I was a bit spent for my 9:05, which was fairly busy for such a late evening class. It was a mixed group - no newbies - but some students who have been taking my class a few times who are still very new and in need of a lot of hands-on help. My more experienced students then get very little attention from me, which I feel kind of sorry about. Anyway, got home, had no energy to make anything for dinner, and besides, it was nearly 11 p.m., so I ate a few more Pringles and...gasp...a bit of chocolate.

What happened to my plans to drink warm milk and settle in with Jane Green's Bookends, my chick lit novel du jour? What happened to waking up refreshed and going for a double practice today?

So, I woke up this morning and wanted an Advil BADLY. But I really don't want to take a chance on hemorragging to death on the operating table next week, so I abstained. Instead, I took a long Epsom bath. Then I ate a bagel. Sigh. OK, seeing it in print, it all looks like a downward spiral. So, I am going to nip it in the bud. In 25 minutes, I am taking off and getting myself to Sarah.

But I have to admit, I am really embarrassed already at the thought of practicing with a bagel in my tummy and seemingly no flow of synovial fluid in my leaden joints. But isn't this EXACTLY when I need yoga? Isn't this when the challenge begins? Isn't this what I tell my students to be mindful of and that this is the time that they MUST practice?

A hypocrite, I must not be. Go to practice, I must.

YC

No comments:

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!