Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I'll have a Jivamukti Express with an Ashtanga Back

Well, well, what do you know? I didn't get my ass down to the shala today. Instead, I actually did a whole bunch of errands that I had been putting off. When my plate was clear, around 11, I decided that I would try the new, old, Uptown Jivamukti, for something different, something fast. They have 45 minute express classes at noon. Off I went. Let me tell you, it feels damn good to be able to do EVERYTHING in a class. Once in a while, it is really, really nice.

I don't know if Jiva Uptown is going to make it, anymore than they made it in the past. There were only three people in the room today - me, another student and the teacher. And it's not like I am going to become a regular there.

Afterwards, I had one more errand to run at the synagogue, which entailed a fair amount of waiting around - I had to register the kids for next year's Hebrew School with the registrar, and she was up to her elbows in registrations. So, I went, checked in with the registrar and then went into an empty classroom and did my seated postures. I felt great. Could be the Jivamukti class, could be the weather - far less humid today than it has been.

In any event, what to do tomorrow? I guess we shall see. I need to get back to the shala, I know I do. Sometimes though, I just love practicing by myself. It's so much less crowded! So much less body heat! And it's entirely doable since I don't "need" the adjustments other than in Supta K, and even then, well, I can do some interesting self-assists in Supta K that I can't do when I am being adjusted AT the shala.

Anyway, I think I need to get down to the shala, if only for the sheer discipline of getting down to the shala.

Tomorrow is another day...

YC

4 comments:

Tiff said...

There are always adjustments to be made in my opinion...you probably are doing a posture right, but I love getting one when I'm in downward dog or in utthita hasta padangustasana. I admire anyone though that can muster up the dedication to have an at home practice - maybe that's just it though, I think too much!

Yoga Chickie said...

That may be true, but the system was created so that students could learn from a teacher and then self-practice. I never get adjusted in any of the standing poses anyore, or now that I think about it, in any of the poses that come before Mari A, except the VERY rare UHP assist and the even rarer Tirianga Mukha Padha pressdown.

Self-practice feels "right" to me in many ways - the quiet, the non-competitive environment, the convenience, the discipline. When you go to Mysore, you probably will get very few adjustments...you know that, right?

Lauren

Anonymous said...

Self-practice is the only way for me, as you're probably tired of reading. I think it's easier to achieve "meditation in motion" because there are less distractions (vrittis) that way. Even if I'm aware that I probably need corrections, my mind is there, I'm focused on what I'm doing. But it also requires much more discipline, because it's only you after all, and it's easy to procrastinate.

Anonymous said...

I know I'm way out of my element here - I don't understand most of the yoga terms you all are throwing around but someday... Anyway, I've read a Jivamukti book and would love to try a class next time I am in NYC. But I'm thrilled that I will be attending a class lead by David Life - Deva Das at the Yoga Conf. in CO in Sept.! Anyway, thanks for all the great posts!

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!