Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Boring drivel

Last night was Yoga For Breast Cancer Survivors at the Arch, and it was soooo good. It could have been soooo bad....somehow there was a glitch, for like the third time in a row, and we lost our main space. We ended up having to practice in a tiny little room used during the day by a painter. It barely fits two mats, and when we first opened the door, we were greeted by the smell of oil paint. But since the room was so small with big big windows, it took only a few minutes to air it out. Then we burned some incense and we were good to go. I really enjoyed teaching last night. I felt like I was bringing something to the table. I don't always feel that way, you know. I need to get back to teaching a bit more. I have been really lazy about it and selfish with my own practice. So, Saturday, I'm teaching a class at Boom Fitness. And then starting in June, I might have mentioned this already, I am teaching lunchtime classes at Yoga Sutra for Sarah W through August (I think?) while she is away in Croatia.

I do like the long-term sub gigs. Less burnout. Less concern with boring my students. I would imagine that hearing the same stuff, granted, perhaps in a different order, or coming from a slightly different "angle", over and over again from the same teacher would be kind of boring to many vinyasa students, many of whom are practicing vinyasa in order to enjoy the "something different each time" that vinyasa provides.

So, it's finally gorgeous in NYC again. It's May, after all. It SHOULD be nice out. As for me, I feel a bit weary today. Is it that I taught last night? Or that I went deeper than usual in yesterday's practice, and now I need some recovery time? Is it that I ate some God-forsaken grilled chicken in my salad last night? Is it that I am dehydrated? I felt myself dragging through practice more slowly than usual today. Despite my willing myself to move faster (and by "faster", I mean, up to a normal speed, sans fiddling with clothing, extra breaths unintentionally taken here and there....), I just couldn't seem to get to Supta K before Sir left the room. Which was fine anyway. I probably needed a break from the adjustments anyway.

Nevertheless, it was a fine practice. They can't all be life-altering, cataclysmic, epiphanistic (if that is even a word), euphoric, transcendant experiences. Oh, and here is some good news for those who practice at Shala X who have the Sir-attachment thing going on: he will be there most of the summer. And some good news for those who miss Mark: he will probably be coming for a few weeks this summer.

And tonight..........is the Lost Season Finale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not expecting any real surprises. I pretty much have a sense of what is going on, or at least I think I do: the Others have voluntarily left civilization and are looking to create some kind of uber-civilization (if a diet consisting solely of fruits and dried fish and wiping one's butt with leaves, rather than toilet paper, can be viewed as "uber"). Said Others may or may not have been part of the Dharma Initiative. They may or may not be connected with the Hanso Foundation. They may or may not have found a way to tap into some forces of nature, which may or may not involve psychic powers, healing powers, Uri Geller-esque mentalism and fun with magnets.

As for why the conspiracy theories that abound on the Lost-obsessive message boards, I am not sure if all of the Lostaways are connected to each other simply because we are ALL six degrees from Kevin Bacon, I mean, rather, six degress of separation, or if somehow all of the Lostaways were "handpicked" to end up on Craphole Island, as the late, great Shannon called it. I do, however, assume that the plane crash that brought them there was the result of some sort of foul play on the part of the Others and entirely intentional. I also have a suspicion that Jack's Christian dad, I mean, rather, Jack's dad, Christian, is not dead at all. I have a suspicion that Sawyer, who has a tendency to get shot, and often, will end up seriously injured if not dead tonight. If he ends up dead, I will be very, very sad because he is, like, so friggin sexy, and I don't want to not see him on my TV screen. I also have a suspicion that Eko could end up dead - a martyr of sorts. I don't feel as if there is much mystery left to Lost at the moment. But I see that as a good thing. I don't feel confused watching it anymore. That is also a good thing. It's just a well-written, suspenseful series. It doesn't have to be the millenium's answer to Twin Peaks. It just has to entertain.

Which this post was not designed to do.

Remember, you were warned.

YC

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a Sir attachment thing going on?

Anonymous said...

If I was teaching anywhere other then AYC tonight I would have subbed my class out so I wouldn't be late for LOST! How crazy are we.
Not Sawyer, they have to leave him on, he is way too hot!

Kiran

Yoga Chickie said...

Jody...um, ya think?

Kiran....oh boy...I would love to get a nickname from him....I keep giggling (like a smitten schoolgirl, I might add) at the thought of his referring to Kate and Hurley as "Pippi Longstocking and the Grape Ape"...and to his attempting to explain to Jack what he meant by "I screwed her": "Uh, okay, we got caught in a net...?

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!