Friday, February 08, 2008

Primary in the morning, Second in the afternoon.

Yep, I did it. Went to led Primary at the CT Shala this morning. Then I came home, rested for a bit and did all of Second.

My fingers are about two inches from my toes in Kapotasana. I wonder if that is close enough such that an adjustment would get me the rest of the way. Well, I probably won't find out for a loooooong time. Anyway. Also, I won't even attempt Karandavasana without being taught it (the same was true for Pasasana, at least right up until about a week before I was taught it by Val) because there doesn't seem to be much point. Instead, I do it with my head on the floor. Other than those two, I am amazed at how much easier Second Series is than Primary. Sure, the leg-behind-head poses are challenging. But they are within reach, whereas when I went to my first Led Primary class, I was shocked that ANYONE could do Mari C or D since I was fairly sure that I would NEVER be able to do so. And then it was several years before I was actually able to do so. And let's not forget Supta Kurmasana. Shudder.

Although it was really fun to practice like it was 1975 (in Mysore), don't know if I would do it again any time soon. It just seemed like a lot of time to be spending on the mat. Plus, I need the Swenson Practice Manual beside me once I get to Mayurasana, which breaks up my flow. But I have to say that it's kind of fun to practice poses I don't often get to practice. And Second, itself, offers much of what Primary offers, although less in the way of deep twists and more in the way of leg-behind-head. And of course, all that backbending. And inverting. I guess what I am saying is that in practicing all of Second, I don't yearn for Supta Kurmasana because I have all the leg-behind-head poses. And I don't yearn for Mari D because I have Pasasana.

And man, this is so boring. I can't bear to type any more of this.

So, yeah, I practice twice today. Primary in the a.m., Second in the p.m. I hesitated to reveal this dark secret because I know exactly who it is going to piss off. But whatever.

YC

2 comments:

Globie said...

Globie.
I wish I could find the energy, not to mention the time to practice twice in a day. I know what you mean about yearning for poses, but this comes in phases. I have given up on Mari D lately cos my knees wont play ball, but the micro successes I'm having with handstands and backbends mean I am still enjoying my practice and not feeling quite as disappointed that Mari D is out of reach just now.

Yoga Chickie said...

It's a rare thing, Globie.

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!