Monday, June 26, 2006

Yo! Gateaux! The People!

I admit that I had trepidations about hauling my mat downtown to St. Marks Place and practicing in a space that was entirely foreign to me. I tried to talk myself out of going, but I saw right through myself, and I won out. No wimping out over some silly, albeit very human, attachment to a space that is altogether impermanent. Turns out, Yoga To the People is a BEAUTIFUL space.

I will say that given the newness of the space, the high ceilings and the open windows, it was somewhat shocking to inhale deeply and find that the scent of body odor was nearly overpowering. And it was somewhat surprising also, that the space was so incredibly hot. Notwithstanding these challenges, plus coming to the end of my roll of Bounty, I had a wonderful practice. XTina wasn't there, which meant I was given very few adjustments: one in Mari A, which is really rocking now (wrists firmly grabbed, or even beyond wrists, chest to thigh, chin to shin and eyes on the toes; my grounded foot no longer wishes to peel its heel off the ground either). One side of Mari C, and of course, K and Supta K. I was pleased to find that I was able to do what I needed to do, without much fuss or drama in each of Parvrittta Parsvakonasana, Prasarita Padotanasana C and Mari D. Yay! And I was surprised to find myself in Urdvha Dhanurasana without having done a bridge first. I just forgot. And up I went.

Maybe the new space energized me. Maybe it is that I didn't have a PowerBar before practice, like I had been doing recently. I added that in because I had stopped drinking Chai when the whether got warmer, and I felt depleted and un-energized without any pre-practice calories. But it seems that perhaps that was one of those temporary adjustments. All adjustments are temporary, actually. We adapt to our changes, and then we need to change again. It's always good to keep that in mind, whether we're talking about adjustments to poses or just adjustments and tweaks in our personal lives.

Last day of school today! A bit sad. But my kids love camp, which starts tomorrow. So, I am happy for them.

YC

No comments:

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!