Monday, June 05, 2006

What is Ashtanga?

Of all of the descriptions and definitions of "Ashtanga Yoga" that I have ever seen, this is, to me, the clearest and most illuminating:

"Ashtanga Yoga is the system of Yoga taught by Sri K. Pattabhi Jois at the Ashtanga Yoga Research Institute in Mysore, India. This method of Yoga involves synchronizing the breath with progressive series of postures—a process producing intense internal heat and a profuse, purifying sweat that detoxifies muscles and organs. The result is improved circulation, a light and strong body, and a calm mind." - from Ashtanga.com

When you put it that way, what's not to love?

YC

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They should warn people about the huge amount of discipline it requires to follow the system and how physically demanding it is and how frustrating it can be at times. It's not happy and pink, you know.

Yoga Chickie said...

Well, it's implicit, right? If it makes you strong and light, then it must be physically demanding. And anything that involves synchronizing the breath must be frustrating, at least sometimes. No?

Anonymous said...

I think it's obvious for us ashtangis but whenever people see the word yoga they think of crossing their legs and saying om. It's a common misconception.

Yoga Chickie said...

Ahhhh...I totally see your point. Nowhere in this statement does it say that it IS physically demanding. One who knows nothing of the practice might read it and think it's a lot of hooey - "oh, yeah, if I breathe the right way, I'll work up a sweat and lose weight and build muscle...sure..."

Anonymous said...

That's it. Whenever I tell people I do yoga to stay fit (more precisely, that I'm fit because I do yoga) they ask "isn't yoga like, soft?". Ashtanga? Soft? Ha. But it's nevertheless rewarding - otherwise we wouldn't do it!

Yoga Chickie said...

Soft! Ha!!!

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!