Saturday, April 08, 2006

Two unexpected pleasures

Since I skipped practice yesterday due to too many things going on that left me feeling too exhausted to add one more (elective) thing, I decided to go to the led class at Shala X. Imagine my surprise and glee when I saw that Petri was teaching! Such a treat! Starting tomrorrow, he will be at Shala X for the next two weeks or so. He had a whole little fan club there, it seemed - several people who had recently been in Mysore at the same time as him were there just to take his class. So, it ended up being five people, which I believe is pretty good for a midday Saturday led class at a predominantly-Mysore-style shala.

Imagine my surprise and glee also when I saw that one of the five students, other than myself, was none other than the lovely and talented Boodiba, herself. What made it even more surprising and gleeful was that Miss B and I had planned on meeting this weekend for a coffee or a chai . Mind you, we had never met in person, but as soon as she came back from Mysore, we both had the same idea - why not meet in real life? Of course, real life has a way of getting in the way, and we had never gotten around to firming up our plans. So, what strange sort of karmic coincidence brought both of us to Shala X on a Saturday, when she doesn't even practice there, and I never practice on Saturdays?

On a side note, I have decided to try to keep track of the number of times I get put into Supta K before being able to do it myself. I just think it could be an interesting data point someday, and if not interesting, then at least fun. So, will it be 300? 3,000? 108? Probably not 108. I estimate that I was put into Mari D probably, rough estimate, mind you, 180 times before I finally was able to do it myself pretty reliably. The thing is, right from the very beginning, I was able to get "put" into Mari D consistently, even if I couldn't hold it myself without snapping out of it and potentially causing some serious bodily harm to whomever was lucky enough to be adjusting me (luckily, my esteemed teachers had a knack for knowing that this was a possibility and never let me go until I was ready to hold it myself without turning into a human slingshot). But not so much Supta K. I cannot always get a good grip. Out of the four times I have been adjusted in Supta K, I have solidly grabbed my hands only twice. A 50% success rate. Based on that, I would have to guess that I am at least 300 Supta K's away from any semblance of mastery over the pose.

For anyone who is interested, I am organizing a pool. Whomever guesses closest to the correct number, gets the pot.

Today's number is 4.

YC

1 comment:

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!