Sunday, April 09, 2006

Blah blah blah whatever

Supta Kurmasana #5 - fingers touched, did not clasp though. Sigh. Everyone tells me to just let go of effort, including Sir, who told me "Two years of Supta K - that's your prescription." He was kidding. I think. Or maybe not. Who knows?

He did indicate that it's not my hips, and it's not my weight. It's shoulder mobility. I thought I had some - can touch the ground in Prasarita Pado C, can bind in everything leading up to Supta K. But I guess none of that is particularly easy or comfortable. Even Mari A kinda sucks. In fact, it may be my least favorite of all the Mari's. And, of course, Mari A bears the closest resemblance to Supta K in terms of mechanics.

Or, as Adam says, "blah blah blah blah blah, whatever."

Brunch after class at Caravan of Dreams. I love these lazy Sundays when I don't have to drop the kids off at Hebrew School (Bri had a sleepover and Eric slept in and skipped his led Ashtanga class at the gym so was able to take Addy)...it's nice to finish practice and take a long stretchy rest and then spend some social time with friends who are as obsessed with yoga as I am. Sir and Madam joined us today, and even brought their little "Jewel". Also joining us was the Vipassana Meditation Family. All in all, it was a delightful morning.

Still, I don't feel like anything is happening in Supta K at all. I mean it. Nothing is going on at all. WAY more was going on in Mari C all along for me than is going on in Supta K now. This is going to be a loooooooooong road, I think.

YC

4 comments:

Boodiba said...

I used to be a cardio junkie in my gym rat days, and I'd do certain poses for a long time (3-5 minutes, with timer) after a 2.5 mile run followed by a 45 minute spin class (my favorite menu). I did upavistha konasana always, 3m down followed by the side to side, Jane Fonda esque stretching.

For years I thought that supta k was just a version of upavistha, only with the arms underneath. Didn't realize that you should be aiming to have the legs coming over the tops of the shoulders. But I think getting my chest on the ground in the former paved the way for the latter.

These days with my hamstring issues, it's way more comfortable for my to have the legs behind the shoulders and bent, then stretched staight out in front. But I think they're recovering.

Course that means something else hurts!!!

Yoga Chickie said...

I think it might depend upon the particular body in question. I think it helps to have legs coming straight over the shoulders - that makes sense. But I suppose if you have really nice open shoulders then you might be able to compensate.

I had a dream last night that I could do Kapotasana. Even took some photos to prove it. Now that is a laugh.

Anonymous said...

one of my teachers once told me, if you can do poses in your dream, you will, eventually, be able to do them in practice, so lauren, two years is not too much, believe me, greetings, ivdp

Lees Lamar said...

Hey, something will click!
You haven't had the pose long!
Blah blah blah all is coming!LOL!
Susan

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!