Tuesday, November 01, 2005

How do I love thee moonday?

Shall I count the ways? Yesterday, after practice, there was some discussion in the anteroom about how we feel about moondays. My party line was that moondays always seem to come at the wrong time for me - just when I am getting into a groove with my schedule, there's that moonday, interrupting my flow. But when woke up this morning and saw the sunlight streaming in and thought about the nice, warm , sunny day stretching before me, I realized how nice it is to have one day, every two weeks, where the shala is closed....Thus, even though I am not practicing, I'm not "skipping" a practice....how nice it is to not to be rushing off somewhere, to simply walk around the neigborhood without any particular destination, without anywhere I have to be anytime soon.

So, after dropping the boys off at school, I took Lewis on a nice long walk, first stopping for a large French Vanilla coffee at Rohrs. Rohrs is such a cool place...it is the only coffee cafe that I know of that shares its space with an insurance agency. Weird, I know. But the weirdness gives it a great vibe, as do its chess boards, quirky antiques and selection of Putumayo world music.

Outside of Rohrs, I ran into "Beth's Husband", who gave me some great advice about my wireless connection (or rather "re-gave" me that advice for the second time...I am pretty hopeless with this stuff, unfortunately, so I thank you, Beth's Husband, for your patience). As I turned the corner onto First Avenue, I ran into Caitlin, one of the Dog Moms whom I have gotten to know since I became one myself, outside of Starbucks. Caitlin went inside to get some latte (or whatever they call it at Starbucks...not being a Starbucks fan, I wouldn't know), while I watched Lady and Lewis bark greetings at one another. Meanwhile, Gary, a guy I knew from my old building, which is right across the street from Starbucks, walked into the little plaza...possibly for the last time, since he is moving to the West Village...today! I thought that was quite a fortuitous coincidence, since Gary happens to be a handsome guy in his mid-forties, which is EXACTLY the type of guy my sister-in-law prefers. Business cards were exchanged, and perhaps Jill and Gary will end up meeting...and hitting it off...a last chance type thing because after today, I would never run into Gary because I am NEVER in the WEST Village...and it would all be because of a moonday....

Next stop, the new manicure place right down the block from Starbucks...I wasn't planning on getting a manicure, and in fact, I had taken to biting my nails and picking my cuticles (ICK!!!!) pretty badly in the past few months (a lifelong habit that I thought I had broken once and for all, since the summer of 2004), but I looked down at my hands and noticed that some of my nails were actually NOT bitten to the quick. Could it be time to get started on a nice-hands-campaign? Yes, I think it could. So, I walked in and lo and behold, there was Lisa, my favorite mani-pedi-massage-wax lady from Mimi nails, where I used to get all of that stuff done when I used to have time (i.e., before Ashtanga) and when I used to have a nanny...

"Is it okay if my dog sits here while I get a manicure?"

Affirmative. I am now the proud owner of ten manicured fingers. Let's hope I can keep them out of my mouth once and for all.

Next stop, Calling All Pets, for some Oatmeal Shampoo (who seems to need a bath about every eight days...I had no idea a dog could have such smelly feet) and a nice bag of doggie treats for Lewis.

Finally, home, where I could take a leisurely stab at writing something COHERENT (I think) on my blog for a change....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

YC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked your entry yesterday.

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!