Friday, November 25, 2005

Attachment, doggie style

We took Lewis to my in-laws for Thanksgiving, and it was like having a new baby all over again. I had to keep his leash attached to my belt the entire time, for fear that he would wander off and have an accident in the house, and he spent most of the night begging for table food and whining about something inexplicable (well, inexplicable to humans). I took him out for a walk as soon as we arrived (and let me tell you, dog walking in the burbs is a singularly boring experience...in the city, no matter what time I take Lewis out, there are always people to chat with, dogs to coo over, stores for window shopping, delis for snacks...not so in the quiet suburbs, especially when the houses are set far apart on two-acre lots....), and another walk after dinner. The Husband took him for a final walk right before we left for home.

The thing was, notwithstanding how much Lewis ate for dinner, and how many opportunities we gave him, there was no, um, return on the investment. I suspected that Lewis had no idea what to make of all of that quiet pavement and all of those grassy yards that were off limits to him. Or perhaps he simply didn't like walking in the quiet of the burbs any more than I did. In any event, almost as soon as we got into the car, Lewis was whining, and as we drove, the whining only got louder. Finally, when we were more than halfway home, I persuaded the Husband to pull off at the nearest exit and find someplace, anyplace to take Lewis for yet another walk.

After 15 minutes of walking around the parking lot of a corporate center in Lake Success in the bitter cold...nothing.

We got back in the car, and Lewis was literally shaking. Something was bothering him. But it couldn't have been that we hadn't given him a chance to relieve himself. So, then what?

Well...when we stopped at a red light around the corner from our building, I got out of the car with Lewis, and within 10 seconds, he had dragged me down the sidewalk to the place he always goes...his favorite spot...and voila.

Apparently, doggies can be quite particular about where they do their business. Who knew?

YC

No comments:

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!