Sunday, October 02, 2005

Light One Little Candle

This link was sent to me by "K", not the one who comments here occasionally, but one whom I correspond with now and then over email. K is an Ashtangini and a yoga teacher (a beloved yoga teacher from what I read in the blogosphere) and the wife of an avid Ashtangi who maintains a blog but hasn't written in it in a looooong while from what I can see. It is K's husband that put K and me in touch in the first place. Anyway, K is a fellow breast cancer survivor, and she sent this link to me with the following warning: it would make me cry.

The story of a mom with a cancer that wouldn't be beaten down by anything, not medicine, not faith, not even the love of her child, who created a legacy with her daughter through the simple act of reading together (an act that sometimes feels like a huge burden on me, I am sad and terribly regretful to say) is a powerful one. And it is made even more powerful by the fact that it formed the basis of a charitable foundation devoted to bringing sick parents and children together through the act of reading together. One book. One candle. Better to light one than to curse the darkness...

I invite you to read Joelle and Halle's story, in honor of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

YC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...

Susan

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!