Monday, June 16, 2008

Weird, non-Ashtanga Ashtanga practice

Met S in the city for a home practice. Easier to do a home practice in someone else's home, especially when that home is a condo with a gym and yoga room in the building. Halfway through standing series, I found myself dreading the tedium of my ridiculously (but usually gloriously) long practice, and so, S, contributing to the delinquency of an ashtangini, suggested that I do Second. As in skip Primary and go straight to Second. I am not sure if it was her idea or mine, but it quickly became clear that I was going to do ALL of Second.

And, so I did.

But I also added in the Marichyasanas after Ardha Matsyandrasana (my new yummy pose) because I really really really felt at loose ends about practicing Pasasana "cold" with no Marichyasanas to get me ready. And so I backtracked to Mari A and went through to Supta Kurmasana before hitting Eka Pada.

S was flabbergasted when she came back to the room after picking up her son an I still hadn't done Eka Pada. I explained that I really, really wanted her to see my Eka Pada. Then I went straight through to the Seven Headstands, although I forgot one - the one where the forearms are on the floor. S helped me with the first half of Karandavasana. Then I just sank to the ground. I had no desire to even attempt it. Plus, I feared that S would get a hernia - she just had a baby less than a year ago, after all.

Tomorrow, I go to the CT Shala, having spoken to Val and having cleared my practicing my entire practice (ONLY up to Eka Pada) with her. I won't be able to see the Good Doc at New York Yoga until my kids leave for camp, although I am going to try to work out some mid-morning semi-privates. But until then, it's piecemeal. And I will be the only constant, so I better up the discipline, by which I mean, the discipline to do my practice and not MORE than my practice. And the discipline to do my practice in under two hours an before noon.

I should be able to do that. Right? RIGHT?

YC

No comments:

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!