Friday, June 06, 2008

Can you touch your toes?

Not in a forward bend, mind you. In a back bend. This is what it's like to be an Ashtangi. Simple things like touching your toes become surreal. It's not enough to bend down and touch our toes. We have to bend backward and grab our heels.

Well, maybe not the heels. If you're me, that is.

Today, I did a semi-private (second this week, although the first was more of a quadri-private) with the Good Doctor today. We spent like two hours chatting before we even got started practicing, and by the time we started, I really didn't know if I even wanted to practice at all. I had kind of lost my nerve.

But since there I was, I got on my mat when we finally got around to realizing that morning was quickly dwindling. It was gone, in fact.

I had an interesting practice. Primary was kind of challenging for me, but Second was a delightful relief. Even Kapotasana was kind of nice. I managed to get both toes again, and actually hold it and BREATHE.

That was the focus of my practice today: breathing. Initiating movement with breath, rather than the other way around. Not sure if that is what made my chest feel sprung-open, but it did.

I am so tired. Must sleep now.

Note to self: must find feet in all backbends. Must actually SEE them someday.

YC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Yoga Chickie,

Wow. :) You made me smile. I'm just for about a week into serious Yoga (Ashtanga) practice. I am 37, and while I've always been fairly flexible, I slowed down on my general exercise routine in the last 2 years or so and it shows as I go through my first couple of sequences and standing asanas. I am going to practice every day, and I'm hoping that I will eventually recover my flexibility and strength to move forward with more difficult and challenging positions. Who knows, may be one day I'll be able to bend over backwards, and touch my toes, too ;)

Thanks for the inspiration.

Namaste

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!