Thursday, August 10, 2006

Practice makes....

practice.

But I am loving loving loving it at the moment.

I had the most wonderful practice today. I finished only two minutes ago. I practiced on my terrace (which is enclosed by windows on all four sides, one side being a window into my bedroom) and watched as the sky went from blue to grey to black, giving way to torrential rain as suddenly as if this were a tropical island, rather than one made of concrete and man-made parks.

It took me this long to get started because I woke up absolutely exhausted today and wasn't even sure if I would have the wherewithal to hit the mat today. But as I was taking a hot bath in the late afternoon, it occurred to me that I really couldn't "know" if I were, in fact, too tired to practice unless I actually stood on my mat and made the attempt.

I'm nothing if not self-motivated.

Now, I don't want to jinx myself, but I could swear that I am making progress in Supta K. My goal is to be able to get into it myself. Well, I suppose we all have that goal. But it has always bothered me that here is a posture where we have to helplessly wait while splayed out on the ground (in Kurmasana) for our teacher to come and turn us into pretzels. And by "always", I mean for as long as I have been practicing in the Mysore style, even back when I was stopping at Marichyasana C and nowhere near getting put into Supta K.

I remember taking a led class at the shala this summer and seeing Linda pretzel her ownself into Supta K. Teacher (Petri) looked on with approval. I looked on and knew that I wanted to be doing what she was doing. Someday. If possible. It's not a lot to ask of myself, self-reliance in Supta K. Of course, it would be nice to even be able to bind in Supta K at all first.

My drop-backs are nice and soft now. I never ever ever want to not be able to drop back ever again. If that makes sense. My stand-ups aren't there yet, but again, without jinxing myself, I think I am seeing some progress.

My kids are killing each other, so I must run.

YC

No comments:

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!