Friday, August 25, 2006

Like pulling teeth

Why is it that when I spend my entire day looking forward to my yoga practice with about the same level of enthusiasm that I might have for a visit to the dentist to have my wisdom teeth extracted, I end up having one of those practices that elevates my love for the practice to new heights of joy and appreciation?

Today, I floated through the entire Primary Series, including drop-backs and the finishing series, in 80 minutes. And guess what? I stood up from backbends. Not gracefuly. Not easily. But no more falling onto my knees. No wonder my thighs are aching. I didn't think I would have the strength to do any backbends, let alone come to standing. And yet.

Sometimes I know it's going to be tough. Sometimes I know it's going to be a delight. I think it, and I'm right. But most of the time, I have no clue what is waiting for me on the mat.

I guess that's one of the things that keeps me coming back to the mat day after day. It's always the same, and yet it's never the same.

Meanwhile, the Husband is in the middle of a rant. I think he finds vacations stressful. The anticipation of leaving seems to be driving him absolutely mad. Marriage and family is generally such a good thing - exactly what I always wanted. But then times like this, it just sucks. Living with another person. It's a practice. And right now, it's not one of our more stellar sessions.

YC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi friend,

Back from the Mela at Kripalu. I wrote here because I knew you'd read it quickly. Words cannot express how amazing it was. The three of them were unbelievable, warm and open and most importantly for me...hilarious. So much to share with you. The most important words of wisdom being (from them)....if it hurts don't do it, don't let anyone else hurt you, and practice always so that you love it and can't wait to do it again. Anyway, too much to write about here. But WOW...what an experience. Saw and learned some cool shit my friend.

Going to practice, yes, me here at home. Imagine that.

xo
Stacey

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!