Friday, April 06, 2007

Is it Friday already?

Did I practice every day this week? I don't remember, but I think so. This is why I needed to blog in the first place - to keep track of these things. I am trying to decide if I should go to the led primary tomorrow at AYS, which is why I'm trying to figure out if I need a rest or not. Sunday is Easter, and the shala is closed, so I could practice tomorrow INSTEAD of Sunday.

Oh, blah blah blah. I'll figure it out.

SO excited about Casa de Yoga Chickie. It's on a property that used to be a farm - a fruit farm (apple orchard?) owned by someone named Winkler. A bit more than 10 years ago, the Winkler guy or his successor in interest subdivided the whole thing into two and three acre parcels (maybe some are more?), houses were built, and the non-farmers moved in. It's really quite charming. The Casa is the only house that doesn't front on a cul de sac, which I think is quite nice, although one might argue that in fronting on a main road, we get the short end of the stick (you get what you pay for, of course). Still, I like the idea of living on a country road, of being part of a neighborhood to the extent that I want to, and being totally private to the extent that I want to. On the one hand, there's a gate in front of the driveway. On the other hand, at the far end of the side yard (which is really the front yard - the house is situated catty-corner to the street), there is a public park with playground equipment, a picnic table, full-court basketball and two tennis courts. On the one hand, we share a pond with our next door neighbor; on the other hand, we share another pond that isn't even on our property with three other neighbors, neighbors whom I might never even meet. It's an interesting mix of suburban and, well, something else. I can't call it rural. But it's different from the suburbs where I grew up.

Where I grew up, there was commerce all over the place - there was plenty of park land and our neighborhood stood next to, what was it? South Mountain Reservation, I believe? Or Mayapple Hill? Either way, it was a mix. Houses, lots of green, but also a McDonalds. Here, you drive down the roads, and there's nothing but trees for the most part. Yeah, there's a main street in town. But other than that, well, that's it. Where I grew up, the supermarket was less than a mile away. Here, it's three miles, and people who live in the suburbs tell me that is a ridiculously long distance. I'll take it though! Three miles doesn't seem like such a big deal to me in exchange for all that fresh air and open space.

I wonder - how does one go about furnishing a house? I really want a traditional, solid pine farm table for the kitchen. Does anyone in the New York area know where I might go to find one?

YC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are amazing furniture stores in the city - you'll have to leave the UES though to find the best ones...
Spend a day in the FlatIron area looking at the homes stores - ABC Carpet (which has an outlet or something in Bklyn or DUMBO) will have what you want fo sho.

A decorating a house - huge job! Maybe hire a decorator to work with? they can give you ideas, if nothing else.... enjoy.

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!