Monday, April 23, 2007

Asana practice does not equal "Yoga"

I know I am stating the obvious.

But I think it is worth highlighting.

Most of us "do yoga" as a workout. Most of us spend most of our yoga time practicing asana, and then the remainder of the time thinking about how others are not practicing yoga - how others fail in their efforts to be "yogic". I hear a lot of that, how this one isn't yogic, how that one isn't yogic, how totally not yogic I am. Well, how about being accountable ourselves for our own behavior?

I am sorry if my satire offends. Call it unyogic, if you'd like. I am quite sure you would be right in saying so. Even if my intent was innocent, clearly the hurt it caused put me on notice that there was violence in it.

On the other hand, judging my behavior is not doing a blessed THING for anyone else's yoga practice, is it now?

YC

1 comment:

Patti said...

You go girl. Opinions are not judgements. Satire is for enjoyment, discussion and hopefully humor and the reading of such is entirely optional.

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!