Thursday, July 14, 2005

Fuck Yoga

No, the honeymoon isn't over. Fuck Yoga is the name of this adorable little store owned by this really cool guy named Barnaby Harris: Fuck Yoga Store. I've seen the t-shirts around, the ones that say simply, "fuck yoga", and I remember seeing an article about the store in New York Magazine, and I was thinking that I wanted to get Mark a little parting gift, as it seems to be "the thing to do", and it also feels kind of nice, since he really gave me a lot of help these past five weeks....and I noticed students giving him books and cd's, and it occurred to me that he is traveling - how is he going to travel all loaded down with yet another book, another cd? So, I decide a t-shirt was in order. My first thought was a New York touristy kind of t-shirt, like an NYPD t-shirt, etc., but then I remembered....fuck yoga...

So, yesterday, on the way to Visiting Day at Camp Hillard for Brian (my 8-year old), I took a detour to the Lower East Side and made my way to Fuck Yoga. I love saying that. Barnaby welcomed me into the store, and I instantly recognized him! He practices at Eddie's at 11. He is not one of the super-bendy, Secon Series guys - he is kind of a biggish, muscular guy with lots of red hair and just a totally awesome vibe. We chatted, and he helped me pick out a muscle T for Mark, and only after I walked back to my car (after a tiny little second detour to Toys in Babeland...) did I remember that on the very first day that I stopped in at Eddie's, Barnaby was the guy who talked to me, who told me who to talk to, who told me where to wait to talk to the teacher....

Isn't that WEIRD?!

Oh, and one more weird thing....a long time ago, sometime last summer, I left my Bikram Yoga mat somewhere - not sure where - but somewhere downtown. Probably at Om, but I am really not sure. Well, as far as I was concerned, it was history. It was a really worn out, purple mat that had been cut too many times such that it was shorter than your average mat. Well, guess what - the first day I practiced at Eddie's, that very mat was sitting in the lost and found at the shala. Now, I can't totally prove without a doubt that it IS my mat - but come on! Bikram? At Eddie's? What are the odds? It is the mat I practice with whenever I go down to Eddie's place now. Isn't that a trip?

Am I avoiding talking about my practice? No. It's just that there isn't much to say. It's pretty much the same as it has been. My led class with MB was awesome. She keeps me very calm. Today, at Guy's, I was tired and sore, and I just wanted to do the Standing Series right, so I ended up spending a lot of time on each pose, and I even did Ardha Baddha Padmotannasna three times on the right side. Marichi C and D were uneventful - the usual. And I never got to the Turtles - took too long to get to C and D and just finished Navasana, which incidentally, really burned my abs today. They are really feeling it right about now.

Tomorrow is Mark's last day. My whole practice could be shaken up! I am a little nervous, but mainly just going with the flow....

YC

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

just wanted to let you know that i find your blog very interesting: i kept checking after the 7th, if you had posted, so i was pleasantly suprised to read your last two. the only (and this is my honest opinion) comment i have: why don't you just stick to ONE teacher, you seem so full of turmoil going back and forth to ayne and ays(i hope my english is right, it is not my 1st language) i have been practicing with one teacher since i started ashtanga and have been totally fullfilled, i don't even do workshops except g-ji and sharath. anyway, keep posting i would like to find out where you are going with your practice.
be well, i.v.d.p.

Yoga Chickie said...

Hi i.v.d.p, thanks for the comment...to answer your question, it is a matter of when I am ABLE to practice. If I could stick with one teacher, it would certainly be easier on me. But because I teach sometimes in the mornings, I miss class at Guy's shala and have to take at Eddie's. That being said, I do love Sarah, who is my teacher at Eddie's! And then of course there is Mary-Beth, who teaches a wonderful Led class. Since I would like to teach led classes to both bring Ashtanga to those who would not otherwise run downtown to a shala and to deepen my own unerstanding of Ashtanga, and because M-B is such a wonderful teacher, I end up trying to go to at least one of her classes each week!

In NYC, there is such an abundance of choices - yoga and otherwise. It is an embarassment of riches. I am lucky, but left in this quandry....

Keep on reading....hopefuly, I will get some clarity on this at some point....

Anonymous said...

thank you, lauren, i do understand your quandery, i guess, you at least do what you can, by the way, sarah is indeed a jewel, she has the softest touch, but most toughest ajustments, (hahah)when she first helped me with marich.d, i had to laugh and tell her, no way, never, and here i am actually doing it...
enjoy your weekend....i.v.d.p.

Yoga Chickie said...

That's how it was for me when she put me in Marichi C...same thing...I wanted to warn her, "Um, no way is this happening, so don't waste your time..." and there I was, in Marichi C. Less than a month later, I am ALMOST binding on my own on one side!!!!! I guess you practice at Eddie's then. How is the 7:30 a.m. Sunday class now? Is it super-crowded? I am thinking of going on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

i am in the country, in the summer i do not practice on sunday, but it is usually not crowded, since a lot of people are away on the weekend. chris is there, subbing for eddie. he's cool, eddie will be back august 2.
enjoy your sunday practice, (bedtime for me now!)
i.v.d.p.

Yoga Chickie said...

Thanks ivdp! Check in again soon...Lauren

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!