Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Today, yesterday and the day before.

Not in that order. Sunday, I got on the mat for the first time after six days off the mat - I had a really bad cold, the worst I have had in years. I could barely get out of bed for a couple of days there, and even now, I sound terrible, even if I am feeling mostly better. Did Half Primary, then three backbends, then closing. It was fine.

Yesterday, having only done Half Primary the day before, I was hungry for more asana, but I kept it to Primary and then a lot of backbends, then closing. Uneventful except to note that my back was bendy, but my wrists are still not great. I really don't know what the problem is with my wrists, but I assume that the bendier my back is, the less the wrists will matter.

Today, I was exhausted and sore, but I got myself to the mat anyway. Since I wasn't up for all the vinyasas of Primary, and I was curious as to what it would feel like to do three different practices in three different days, I did full Second, starting immediately after Parsvotanasana. Since I was also pressed for time, I made myself just plow right through it and not do any extra prep for anything. And you know something? It was awesome.

I love how I have no particular attachment to any poses in Second Series. I can't have any taken away, and I can't be given any. I know that Kapotasana isn't happening now, or maybe ever, or maybe just now. We shall see. And I couldn't care less about Karandavasana, so I just enjoy holding Pincha Mayurasana twice, each for 10 breaths. Finally, I know that Eka Pada comes and goes, but that even if I have to hold my leg in place with one hand, it doesn't matter because I am not looking to practice the Third Series poses where you have to keep the leg there without hands. Hence, no attachment. I just don't care, the way I used to not care when I took vinyasa classes and Bikram classes, and there was no linear agenda.

No linear agenda. Very very nice.

Bottom line, it was a great practice, and it went super-fast. From start to finish, less than 60 minutes, and I was sweating my ass off (which helped immensely in Yogi Nidrasana and Tittibasana C, but not so much in Mayurasana).

YC

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you want third series? I think you would be good at it.

Yoga Chickie said...

It is not that I don't ever want to do third, it's that I can't keep my leg behind my head without holding it, so I wouldn't be able to do a number of poses. Maybe if I can ever keep the leg behind the head without holding it with my hand, things like Chakorasana will make more sense for me.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you will be able to keep your leg behind your head without holding it with your hand eventually.

Not necessarily in the context of ashtanga - I used to practice Eka Pada while watching TV.

:)

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!