Well, not really.
I never really gave a crap about that. And I still don't.
So, apparently, the AYRI wants its authoried teachers to refrain from teaching anything but Primary and to refrain from giving Workshops.
What I look for in a teacher is not whether they are authorized. What I look for in a teacher as a threshhold question, is whether they have been taught by SKPJ. The reason is that while SKPJ is still alive, he is THE SOURCE. And if I cannot go to the source, I want to be taught by someone who has been to the source. Plain and simple.
In time, this will change. People will have been taught by Sharath. And perhaps someday, I will look for a teacher who has been taught by SKPJ or his grandson. Or perhaps in time, I will simply look for a teacher who has been taught by someone who has been taught by SKPJ or his grandson.
What I seek is as close to a "primary source" as possible. The further you get from the primary source, the more distilled is the teaching. I want the purest possible teaching.
After that, I care about a personal connection, trust, safety, a lack of greediness about teaching poses, a joy in teaching, a certain something.
My feeling is that these new restrictions on authorized teachers are going to simply make authorization irrelevant altogether. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot...
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Well, not really.
VISIT ME AT MY NEW ADDRESS, YA'ALL!
- Yoga Chickie
- Northern Westchester, New York, United States
- I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.
- ► 2009 (102)
- Live Blogging From the U.S. Open
- A backbend I can not be embarassed about
- Picnic at Hanging Rock
- Free Ashtanga Classes in Downtown NYC: UPDATED
- Just when I thought I was on my way to becoming an...
- Isn't it ironic, don't ya think?
- It's always a good sign when I want to do a photo ...
- "Mad Men" is the new "Sex and the City"
- What I Did on My Summer Vacation
- Tim Miller is coming here!
- Thank you, yes and ummmmm, I have an excuse for th...
- Afraid of an ASANA?? You bet your spinal cord, I ...
- Summer Affective Disorder
- In the "wee wee" hours of the morning, you'll find...
- Who John Edwards Screwed...
- Color War - the only war worth fighting
- More on Kelly Bundy's Fight with Breast Cancer
- May Christina Applegate's Breasts Be In Good Hands...
- Who's uncomfortable?
- Reports of my having left the cult are greatly exa...
- The Opening of the American Marriage?
- And don't forget to love your lazy-ass self...
- ▼ August (23)
- ► 2007 (366)
- ► 2006 (504)