Yesterday, I did a super-disciplined practice from the Sun Salutations through all of Standing. The Good Doc would have been proud (I think), as I initiated every movement with the breath, I never took my heels off the mat once they were planted, I did not do any researchy things like putting my knee down to twist in Parsvakonasana B (the twisted one) and I stayed very very focused.
But when I got to the floor, I realized that I had very little time, and definitely not enough to get to all of the poses I like or am currently "working on". So, I veered off into a totally non-Ashtanga, but Ashtanga-based personal practice, which is to say that I did Ashtanga poses, but in a highly untraditional way.
I covered all of Primary up through Mari A without any vinyasas in between. Then I skipped to Mari C, then to Bujapidasana, then Tittibhasana, then Kurmasana and Supta Kurmasana, then Yoga Nidrasana, then Supta Kurmasana again. Then Eka Pada Sirsasana, then straight into Kapotasana. Then Urdhva Dhanurasana.
And the funny thing: my UD was my best ever, at least my best ever caught on film. Compare the above with the below, up until yesterday, my gold standard.
I even caught some up-down, up-down, up-down drop backs on film:
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.
VISIT ME AT MY NEW ADDRESS, YA'ALL!
- Yoga Chickie
- Northern Westchester, New York, United States
- I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.
- ► 2009 (102)
- Live Blogging From the U.S. Open
- A backbend I can not be embarassed about
- Picnic at Hanging Rock
- Free Ashtanga Classes in Downtown NYC: UPDATED
- Just when I thought I was on my way to becoming an...
- Isn't it ironic, don't ya think?
- It's always a good sign when I want to do a photo ...
- "Mad Men" is the new "Sex and the City"
- What I Did on My Summer Vacation
- Tim Miller is coming here!
- Thank you, yes and ummmmm, I have an excuse for th...
- Afraid of an ASANA?? You bet your spinal cord, I ...
- Summer Affective Disorder
- In the "wee wee" hours of the morning, you'll find...
- Who John Edwards Screwed...
- Color War - the only war worth fighting
- More on Kelly Bundy's Fight with Breast Cancer
- May Christina Applegate's Breasts Be In Good Hands...
- Who's uncomfortable?
- Reports of my having left the cult are greatly exa...
- The Opening of the American Marriage?
- And don't forget to love your lazy-ass self...
- ▼ August (23)
- ► 2007 (366)
- ► 2006 (504)