Until Tuesday, it did not occur to me that perhaps the problem with Pasasana has been my preference for high-heeled shoes.
Then the Good Doctor suggested to me that perhaps the problem was my "Barbie Feet", or, in other words, feet whose heels don't touch the ground. Ever.
Against my better fashion judgement, I hauled out from the back of my Shoe Museum (aka, my closet), my pair of MBT Sneakers that I bought about a year ago, that I wore once or twice and then never again. Just too ugly, I thought. There was, simply, no way around the ugly.
Or so I thought. Until I realized that my Pasasana was suffering...
Since wearing heels is not an option in Pasasana (unless you're practicing Posh-asana, as demonstrated by my rendering of Victoria over here to the left), it was a toss-up:
Worship at the altar of fashion?
Worship at the altar of asana?
I wore my MBT's into the city on Wednesday, inauspicious day that it was. A close friend who saw me wearing the hideous, spongey monstrosities asked me, "What's the deal with the clodhoppers?" I explained, with the utmost in patience: "Pasasana requires that I put aside my high heeled shoes for now." It goes without saying that my explanation fell upon deaf ears and was met with a scathing glance at the aesthetics-offending footwear.
Since Wednesday, I have made a point of either being barefoot, or wearing my MBT's. And for my effort, I have been rewarded. Today I bound rather easily on both sides in Pasasana, without benefit of wall or rolled up mat. In celebration, I wore some really stylin' high heeled sandals to dinner tonight in Greenwich.
That transgression aside, I shall continue to limit my time in high heels in the hope that I can eventually put my Barbie heels back down on the ground where they belong.
Twould be nice.
Saturday, April 26, 2008
Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.
VISIT ME AT MY NEW ADDRESS, YA'ALL!
- Yoga Chickie
- Northern Westchester, New York, United States
- I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.
- ► 2009 (102)
- Much better!
- My temporal processes hurt.
- The New York Post has been reading Yoga Chickie
- Calm follows a storm
- The shoes are cool.
- The next step in the uglification of my feet
- Buh Bye Barbie Feet
- The Constant
- Some backbending to heal the soul
- What's Bugs Got to Do With It? (Gotta do with it....
- How to stay skinny the Renee Zellweger way
- The lost entry
- From now on, everyone will wear their underwear on...
- I have a practice twin
- Held onto both my feet today at the same time!
- Ever hear the one about the driste for Urdhva Dhan...
- Nothing new to report. It's Tuesday after all.
- practice and all is ..... ?
- Supta Vajrasana, or, It's OK to suck
- Like a nat-u-ral womaaaan...
- It who must not be named
- Finished Second Series Today
- Thoughts on American Gigolo
- ▼ April (28)
- ► 2007 (366)
- ► 2006 (504)