Thursday, June 16, 2005

And no breakfast it is.....

OK, so, on the advice of my teachers, I didn't eat breakfast, and I basically stopped eating after 7 p.m. (ok, truth be told, I had a spoonful of peanut butter before bed - very nervous about not having any energy for practice the next day; today, I promise to be better...). I woke up, did an Uddiyana Bhanda kriya, took my kids to school, and got on the Limited down 2nd Ave. And guess what? My practice felt completely bouyant, and my binding was much much improved. I guess not eating breakfast really does matter. I did have a shoulder muscle spasm right in the middle of the Janu Sirsasanas, but I rallied and came back stronger. My jump throughs are really catching air. I feel awesome.

It was hot today - I walked into the studio and felt a blast of hot, humid air....and I felt happy. It was also quite crowded. I could barely find a place to put my mat and had to begin my practice in the back, where most people finish their practice. When a space opened up, Mark told me to move my mat there.

So, like I said, my binding was way way better today, and Marichi C genuinely happened - I was able to hold the bind myself. But could I breathe? Not really. My breath came in short, shallow bursts. As I was gasping for air, I asked Mark when he thought I might be able to breathe in C, and he said, "Next week." REALLY???? We shall see. He also asked me if I could come earlier - I guess, like I said, there isn't enough time in 75 minutes to progress to a new pose, and believe me, that is motivational.

However, at this point, I don't know how to get there any earlier, what with dropping the kids off at school as I have to do each day. Even when they go to camp, the camp bus won't come until 8:15 - I will only have another 15 minutes, may 20-25 at the most, and that is if the bus comes on time and public transportation works out. We shall see....maybe I will try taking the subway next time and see if that gets me there any faster.

Lori came in today at the end of the session - she is very warm. I really like the vibe at the AYS. Did find out to today that Mark is only here in New York until mid July! Wow....that is kind of a bummer, as I really like him and his teachings. But then, he is an assistant to Guy, who is away, so if he's good enough for Guy, then perhaps that is indicative of what Guy will be like as a teacher....it will be intersting to see.

It is funny how I thought I would end up practicing in Soho at Eddies, but here I am in the East Village at Guy's. I guess it is not that surprising - I think Mary-Beth implied that she thought Guy's would be better for me. But I will ask her more about that tomorrow at my led practice - assuming I can even GET there...there is a kindergarten end of the year party tomorrow at 8:45. I will probably miss most of class tomorrow and then get myself down to Eddie's place for the 11:00 Mysore room.

Oh, and to keep them fresh in my mind, here are the mantras:

Invocation to Pantanjali:

Om
vande gurunam caranaravinde
sandarshita svatma sukha va bodhe
nihsreyase jangalika yamane
samsara halahala mohasahantyai

abahu purushakaram
shankacakrasi dharinam
sahasra shirasam svetam
pranamami Patanjalim
Om

(English:
I pray to the lotus feetof the supreme Guru who teaches the good knowledge,
showing the way to knowing the self awakening, great happiness;
who is the doctor of the jungle, able to remove the poison of the ignorance of conditioned existence.

To Patanjali, an incarnation of Adisesa,white in color with 1000 radiant heads(in his form as the divine serpent, Ananta),human in form below the shoulders,
holding a sword (discrimination), a wheel of fire(discus of light, representing infinite time),
and a conch(divine sound) -
to him, I prostrate. )


Closing Mantra for Peace:

Om
Svasti praja bhyaha pari pala yantam
Nya yena margena mahi mahishaha
Go brahmanebhyaha shubamastu nityam
Lokah samastah sukhino bhavantu
Om shanti shanti shanti

No comments:

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!