Friday, January 18, 2008

I can see! I've got legs! (Or, The Importance of Not Being Ernest)

Yesterday, I practiced with a friend, and since it was kind of more about his practice than mine, and he has issues with the Marichyasanas, and I really like helping people with the Marichyasanas, my Primary Series suffered (I use that term loosely) a bit. And by "suffered", I merely mean that I didn't get very sweaty, and I didn't get into any pose particularly deeply.

BUT.

When it came time to do backbends, although I didn't feel warm, and I didn't even feel like doing them, I pressed up and did three miserable backbends from the ground. No surprise there. But then my friend asked me if I was going to try to do some dropbacks. I wouldn't have if he hadn't egged me on. And so, I did. And guess what? The first one, I got up like the usual stoned monkey. But the second one...it was like someone was lifting me up. I stood up, head (nearly) last, with a look of shock and delight plastered on my face. Since I did THAT after having dropped back and holding the backbend for five breaths, I thought to myself: what could I do if I were to drop back and immediately come back up?

And so I did.

And it felt lovely, and whatever it looked like, it felt right. The standing up is coming. I think maybe the beautiful backbends that some of you all do may never be coming for me. My arms may always be at angles to my rib cage. My kapotasana may never be achieved without growing my toenails Howard Hughes-long. But if in the dead of winter, after an unremarkable practice and three rather depressign Urdvha Dhanurasanas, I am able to pull off standing up three times in a row, three for three, I'm thinking....I just might be able to claim a workmanlike standup from a dropback as part of my repertoire one of these days.

Now, if I could only make my lazy ass practice today.

YC

6 comments:

Carl said...

Earnest UDs cause my back to tighten up. If I slack on those, I have more left over to put into the standing backbend/dropbacks and I get closer to my goal in those.

Yoga Chickie said...

Because of you, I am going to change the title of this entry...

Carl said...

Terribly funny. You are so not boring.

Yoga Chickie said...

Keep that up, and I might link to you.

eeyore said...

YC, you're never boring,and I need help with the sage Marichy's asana d, the one he made in that very small cave near Denver. What will help?

lgr said...

Yes, I saw it with my own eyes...YC doing the drop backs and coming up on her own. It was impressive to watch - and the look on her face was priceless... sheer joy mixed with disbelief. I should also add that YC is an amaszing ahstanga teacher - insightful and strong. Now all she has to do is spend an ungodly period of time in Mysore to get certified. Thanks Lauren!

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!