Thursday, July 26, 2007

what is it about trains?

For me, there is something viscerally satisfying about traveling by train. I love the way it breaks up a trip into manageable chunks - a drive to the station, the ride on the train, the traveling to wherever I'm going afterward. It helps that my time pressure is almost non-existent, but then, even if I had a specific timeframe, I think I would like the discipline that having to "make" a train instills.

I first noticed how much I love trains the first time we rented a summer house in Westport. We were not far from the train station, and I used to listen for the train whistle at night when it was otherwise quiet. Now, I occasionally hear a train whistle when outside on my back porch in the evening, and I wonder how it is that I can hear it at all, considering that the nearest train station is still a fifteen minute's drive by car.

I'm on the train now, and I am loving that I can read, write or close my eyes and still get to where I'm going. I feel for those who dread this ritual. I find so much peace in it that I believe it enhances my morning practice.

We shall see. Today, I will probably miss assisted dropbacks. In exchange for that loss, I will gain the ability to try the Laksmi-patented wall warmup. As Third Series Am I Sore noted, may the force be with me.....

Yc

2 comments:

Boodiba said...

I wonder if I should change the name of my blog, since I am not currently planning the third trip, being scared off by the potential homelessness thing.

But a third trip will PROBABLY happen at some point!?

Boodiba said...

Hey - what happened to your last posts??

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!