Friday, July 27, 2007

Laksmi is the West Coast, Shiksah, Backbendy Me


For those who don't know her, and for everyone else, please allow me to introduce you to my second-series-bending, voodoo-practicing, prolific-writing blog pal, Laksmi Vimilananda. That is not her real name. Her real name will not be revealed here, but I will this much: upon learning it, I was taken aback by its similarity to my own name, albeit, without any of the haymisha leanings.

Like many of us bloggers who have not earned book deals on the scale of the Washingtonienne and New York City Ho Who Shall Not Be Named of the Classical Drama Titled Blog, Laksmi first appeared on the blog scene quietly. But since then, she has developed a unique, fresh and witty voice, her blog appears to now have built some momentum. Originality can be sorely lacking in the Blog Zone. But Laksmi is anything but derivative.

Of course, upon reviewing her archives, none of this should come as any surprise. Her very first post invokes my blog, this very blog you are reading, as, in essence, the yoga blog that her blog will render obsolete until she sees fit to stop writing hers. When I read that, I thought it was a "tiny bit mean", as my younger son would say. But now, I no longer see it that way. I see it as the ultimate compliment that Laksmi came on the scene with YC in her mind as the force with which to be reckoned.

After a rocky start, fraught with miscommunications, Laksmi and I have settled into an engagingly bantering and mutually (I hope) respectful ifriendship. Or is that efriendship? In any event, I have taken to never linking to Laksmi, maybe because I don't want to share any of my reader, or maybe because I am just too lazy to link to anyone anymore because I mean, really, who cares. Technorati just sucks, so who cares how they rank us? Authority shmathority. Who needs it?

That said, I promised a link to the winners of the Caption This contest (see? I can't even be bothered to link to my own freakin' blog), which, like, NO ONE entered, except for Samasthithi, Carl and Laksmi. And maybe Boodi. I don't remember exactly and I can't even be bothered to check. And then, having decided that they were all winners, I am now beginning my linking campaign. Do they want the attention? I know Mrs. Laksmi does. Eh, who doesn't love a little attention?

Any publicity is good publicity, no? And the only thing worse than bad publicity is NO publicity. So....

Thank you Laksmi, for portraying me as Kundalini Barbie. In return, I shall portray you as Hard Rock Barbie. And thanks for keeping me on my blogging toes. If not for you, I might have just lost interest in the whole blogging thing by now.

Up next: Samahs-tit-teehee, followed by Carl.

YC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, you've been busy. What a wonderful tribute to ME.
You should know that my yiddish name is Lamed Reysh. I'm a jew wannabe. Thanks again for the airtime and the very nice post. Awwww. :)

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!