Thursday, December 18, 2008

Recession, you say? Where can I get a copy of that memo, please?

OK, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but seriously, I do find it odd that the New York Times reports on the recession and then in their weekly magazine advertises the most insanely outrageously expensive luxury goods I've ever seen. And let's not forget the beef-jerky handbag. Or Candace Bushnell's television treatment of Lipstick Jungle, which does for the Manhattan dwellers living in the midst of economic ground zero what Sex and the City did for skinny girls eating like truck drivers.

So, I ask the obvious question: What Recession?

YC

1 comment:

Arturo said...

hi Lauren
they just completed a new Guggi store in Union Square here, moving the old one to it and all sorts of other luxury stores have been completed recently - Prada, DeBeers, Barney's. There are sectors of people with disposable income. One thing that seems to indicate a slight bit of recession to me, I don't know why, is that instead of hip Apple ads in the metro stops downtown, all of the ads belong to Tiffany's. All of the columns have been painted their trademark blue. Does that say that it's only the luxury brands that have money to spend on advertising and stores? Possibly. But there is a recession. Maybe you are in a bit of a bubble. Maybe those neighbors are not going to Puerto Rico for the holidays, for example, but staying around you these holidays. That hurts the island's tourism economy. You may not see the immediate effects of the recession, but it is present. You see it in the lack of infrastructure maintenance in small towns strewn around the country.

hugs
Arturo

Copyright 2005-2007 Lauren Cahn, all rights reserved. Photos appearing on this blog may be subject to third party copyright ownership. You are free to link to this blog and portions hereof, but the use of any direct content requires the prior written consent of the author.

About Me

My photo
Northern Westchester, New York, United States
I live by a duck pond. I used to live by the East River. I don't work. I used to work a lot. Now, not so much. I used to teach a lot of yoga. Now not so much. I still practice a lot of yoga though. A LOT. I love my kids, being outdoors, taking photos, reading magazines, writing and stirring the pot. Enjoy responsibly.

Bygones







Ashtanga Blogs


Thanks for reading Yoga Chickie!